For the Tare (Makes 4-6 servings):
• 1 oz kombu or dried kelp
• 1 bulb garlic, cut in half
• 2 large pieces of sliced ginger
• 2 star anise
• 2 cloves
• 1 large leek, cut in half, wash it through, prepare only white part
• 4 shiitake mushroom
• 1 cup sake
• 3 cups cold water
• 2 Tbsp sea salt
• 1 Tbsp sugar
• 4 to 8 Tbsp gochugaru, Korean red pepper flakes (optional)
Add all ingredients to a pot and simmer for an hour. (Make sure to squeeze out the juices from the vegetables when you pass the pass your broth.
For the Chicken Meatballs:
• 2 remaining chicken breast, removed skin
• 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut it into small pea size
• 1 clove garlic, grated
• 1 tsp ginger, grated
• 1 Tbsp cornflour
• 1 Tbsp soy sauce
• 1 Tbsp mirin
• 2 Tbsp ground sesame seeds
• 1 egg white
• pinch black pepper
For the Ramen Bowl (Makes 2 bowls):
• half savoy cabbage, cut into bite size
• 2 portions of fresh,or dried ramen noodles
• 2 to 4 cloves garlic, grated
• 4 spring onions, chopped
• 4 Tbsp ground sesame seeds
• 2 boiled eggs (6 mins cook and cool
• (I added the whole cooked eggs to some of the Tare base for approx. one hour to flavor the egg)
For the Chicken Broth (Make 4-6 servings):
• 4 to 5 lb organic/cage free whole chicken
• 3 lb chicken wings
• 1 lb chicken back bones
• 1 cup sake
• 2 liters cold water
-Chop the chicken carcass into pieces
-Soak the chicken bones in cold water for an hour to remove some impurity’s
-Discard the water and rinse clean.
-Add two liters of water to the bones and bring to a boil.
-Remove the scum that comes to the top of the water.(be gentle and don’t move the bones as this will make the broths flavor bitter)
-Lower the temperature and simmer for approx 3-5 hours with a lid on,
-After two hours remove lid and crush the bones with a potato masher (this add more flavor and gives the broth a creamy color.
Pass the broth with a fine sieve.
To serve ladle the tare into a bowl and top with the chicken broth. Add as much or as little as you want, It’s all about your personal preference. Add the noodles/vegetables/egg and Enjoy 😍
Serve with a citrusy beer like this brù brewery citrus IPA.